Saturday, January 23, 2010

Down the Wind

Klein Curacao lays 28 NM West of Bonaire, an easy sail down the wind. You can’t see the island until you are close, charming lighthouse and a shipwreck, a warning for sailors, are the first signs of the small uninhibited piece of land. It’s white sand beach on the West side attract tourists from Curacao only 13 NM away. Sundays and Saturdays the beach fills up with bodies. We anchored in front of the beach and were shortly after visited by Curacao Coast Guards. They took a lot of pictures of our boat, but didn’t search it. They were friendly, laughed at the boat’s name Nada and were puzzled , when they heard my name. ‘Nothing’, one said, looking at me. Klein Curacao is the island, I would like to have in my dreams. There is a building, that used to host a restaurant. Now it serves the weekend visitors from Curacao. The beach umbrellas, weaved out of the palm leaves, are resisting strong East winds. The island is so low, we are watching the foams splashing over the rocks on the other side. I dream in colours. Turquoise surrounds the island and when the sun is playing with the waves, it is sending the reflections to the white sand on the bottom. I want to touch them with my feet, the water seems shallow, it is so clear. But I can not reach the sand and catch the moving reflections. So I relax my body on waves and close my eyes. This is another moment in life I want to keep in my memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment